MADISON, Wis. (WKBT) - Governor Scott Walker issued a proclamation declaring Wednesday, August 13 as "Purple Hearts for Healing Day" in Wisconsin in honor of a 12-year-old girl who was stabbed 19 times.
According to court documents, two 12-year-old Wisconsin girls plotted for months to kill their classmate to please the online specter known as Slender Man. The 12-year-old victim has been recovering at home.
"This little girl is overcoming a terrible ordeal with the help of family, friends, medical professionals, and the incredible outpouring of love and support from the great people here in Wisconsin and around the world," Governor Walker said in a statement. "Her strength and determination are an inspiration, and on behalf of Wisconsin, I wish her well as she continues her journey to recovery."
Governor Walker's office said the 13th of August carries special meaning for the young girl and her family, as most members of their family were born on the 13th of different months.
People across the country have been sending homemade hearts made of paper, fabric, and felted wool to the young girl recovering. In early August, she received a card that came with a military Purple Heart from an anonymous donor.
- Copyright 2016 by WKBT News8000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- On Your Side - Guide to Buying Glasses Online
- VIDEO: Area couples prepare for wedding season
- VIDEO: De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- VIDEO: Local event helps connect military families
- VIDEO: Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Local event helps connect military families
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Minnesota GOP charts new course in response to protests