HUSTISFORD, Wis. - Authorities at the scene of a house fire in Hustisford said they believe several animals from a traveling petting zoo died in the fire.
Fire crews said a house on Garfield Road, south of County Road R, was engulfed in flames when they arrived Friday morning. Numerous fire departments were called to the fire.
Dodge County Sheriff Todd Nehls said one of the people who lived in the house operated a traveling petting zoo for children.
Several of the animals for the zoo were kept in the house and are believed to have died in the fire.
Fire officials said they suspect a wood burning appliance might have started the fire.
Nehls said damage to the house was quite serious, and it will be not be repairable.
- The Latest: Trump take executive action on oil pipelines
- Minnesota governor eyes fast return to work after collapse
- Plans on hold for proposed cell towers in La Crosse
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- Trial set for mom whose toddler was found wandering outside
- Wisconsin Democrats: County websites were hacked
- Bipartisan proposal would eliminate publishing minutes
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups
- Man accused of trying to kill unborn child arrested in NY
- Section of riverbank collapses near City Hall in Des Moines