HUSTISFORD, Wis. - Authorities at the scene of a house fire in Hustisford said they believe several animals from a traveling petting zoo died in the fire.
Fire crews said a house on Garfield Road, south of County Road R, was engulfed in flames when they arrived Friday morning. Numerous fire departments were called to the fire.
Dodge County Sheriff Todd Nehls said one of the people who lived in the house operated a traveling petting zoo for children.
Several of the animals for the zoo were kept in the house and are believed to have died in the fire.
Fire officials said they suspect a wood burning appliance might have started the fire.
Nehls said damage to the house was quite serious, and it will be not be repairable.
- Holmen man sentenced for 2015 murder
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse
- Herberger's moving into former Macy's location in La Crosse