ELLSWORTH, Wis. (AP) -- Western Wisconsin sheriff's officials are investigating the death of a person whose remains were found in a burned vehicle.
According to a Pierce County sheriff's department statement, someone reported finding a burned vehicle in the Town of Trenton, about five miles from Ellsworth, at 8:20 a.m. Saturday.
The department says deputies found the vehicle in a farm yard where no one lived. They checked the interior and found human remains.
The vehicle was not on fire when officers found it.
The Ramsey County Medical Examiner's office in Minnesota is expected to perform an autopsy and try to determine the person's identity.
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- Annual Iverson Freking Awards handed out at luncheon
- Assembly speaker says his job is harder than governor's
- Alternative transportation forum looks to the future
- Highway 53 steering committee considering options for corridor development
- Toyota donates nearly $15,000 to La Crosse YWCA
- Buzz's Bikes building still looking for new owners