ELLSWORTH, Wis. (AP) -- Western Wisconsin sheriff's officials are investigating the death of a person whose remains were found in a burned vehicle.
According to a Pierce County sheriff's department statement, someone reported finding a burned vehicle in the Town of Trenton, about five miles from Ellsworth, at 8:20 a.m. Saturday.
The department says deputies found the vehicle in a farm yard where no one lived. They checked the interior and found human remains.
The vehicle was not on fire when officers found it.
The Ramsey County Medical Examiner's office in Minnesota is expected to perform an autopsy and try to determine the person's identity.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 29, 2017
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks