LA CROSSE, Wis. - La Crosse's Washburn neighborhood now has a new green space to enjoy.
Members at Our Savior's Lutheran Church in La Crosse have been planning for a community garden behind the church's parking lot for the last year.
They raised roughly $9,000 to transform the space into a peace garden with a sitting area and three rain gardens
Organizers said the La Crosse community has seen an increase in drug use and violence in the past few years, including the shooting death of 20-year old Sara Hougom, who was shot and killed about a block away from the church.
They said they wanted to do something good for the community.
"We just needed some place that was peaceful," said Lois Losby of Our Savior's Lutheran Church. "With Sara's murder being so close to us and our church, we just felt like this was the perfect thing to do."
The community garden's transformation isn't complete yet. Organizers also hope to create a meditation labyrinth for the garden within the next year.21843462
- Holmen man sentenced for 2015 murder
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse
- Herberger's moving into former Macy's location in La Crosse