ONALASKA, WI - While dogs can bring a lot of joy to their owners, for some, their dog is more than just a companion it's a ticket to independence.
The life-changing service is made possible by a local non-profit, Paws 4 Independence.
The group hosted it's High Five 4 Paws fundraiser in Onalaska on Saturday.21836220
The organization trains dogs to help take care of veterans with PTSD and others with health concerns like diabetes, psychiatric needs, or seizure disorders.
One family who has a service dog from Paws 4 Independence says he doesn't just help their daughter with medical concerns but is an emotional support as well.
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse celebrates Arbor Day with a tree planting
- News 8 Sports Round Up-April 28, 2017
- Community leaders observe Workers Memorial Day
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Kenosha teen stabbed at school dies
- APNewsBreak: Syrian who sued Trump brings family to US