ONALASKA, WI - While dogs can bring a lot of joy to their owners, for some, their dog is more than just a companion it's a ticket to independence.
The life-changing service is made possible by a local non-profit, Paws 4 Independence.
The group hosted it's High Five 4 Paws fundraiser in Onalaska on Saturday.21836220
The organization trains dogs to help take care of veterans with PTSD and others with health concerns like diabetes, psychiatric needs, or seizure disorders.
One family who has a service dog from Paws 4 Independence says he doesn't just help their daughter with medical concerns but is an emotional support as well.
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers
- Xcel sets new record for hydroelectric production
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families
- La Crosse Public Education Foundation honors grant recipients
- 1 dead, 4 others injured by apparent carbon monoxide
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- Missing elderly man found dead in Grant County
- State leaders push for more progress at MLK Day celebration