MAPLEWOOD, Minn. (AP) - The parents of a toddler have been charged with child neglect after Maplewood police say they found them highly intoxicated and their house uninhabitable.
Police were called to the house by the landlord Monday. Officers say the smell inside was so overwhelming they had trouble breathing. A criminal complaint filed Wednesday says police found garbage, rotting food and dirty diapers strewn about the house.
The complaint says 23-year-old Rebecca Koecher was found passed out and "almost lying atop" of her 22-month-old son. It says the child's 27-year-old father, Clayton Johnson, was also found to be highly intoxicated.
The St. Paul Pioneer Press says the parents were taken to a detox center and the boy to Children's Hospital in St. Paul.
- The Latest: Walker proposes new welfare work requirements
- Trump to meet congressional leaders Monday at the White House
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- State agency highlights climate change, 2 others ignore
- Local event helps connect military families
- Dayton's State of the State will set stage for 2017 session
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos
- La Crosse County proposing tourism tax
- You participated in the Women's March. Now what?