MAPLEWOOD, Minn. (AP) - The parents of a toddler have been charged with child neglect after Maplewood police say they found them highly intoxicated and their house uninhabitable.
Police were called to the house by the landlord Monday. Officers say the smell inside was so overwhelming they had trouble breathing. A criminal complaint filed Wednesday says police found garbage, rotting food and dirty diapers strewn about the house.
The complaint says 23-year-old Rebecca Koecher was found passed out and "almost lying atop" of her 22-month-old son. It says the child's 27-year-old father, Clayton Johnson, was also found to be highly intoxicated.
The St. Paul Pioneer Press says the parents were taken to a detox center and the boy to Children's Hospital in St. Paul.
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Wisconsin plan seeks to cut achievement gap in half
- Kenosha teen stabbed at school dies
- APNewsBreak: Syrian who sued Trump brings family to US
- Congress OKs bill averting Saturday gov't shutdown
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Young students urge high schoolers to be safe during prom
- Police: Man pepper-sprayed autistic man eating free cookies
- La Crosse celebrates Arbor Day with a tree planting