MADISON, Wis. (AP) - A Republican who lost his state Senate seat in a 2011 recall election plans to announce Wednesday he will be running for the seat in 2014.
Van Wanggaard, of Racine, narrowly lost in the June 2012 recall election to Democrat John Lehman. Lehman's victory was the only Democratic win out of four Senate recalls last year, but it was enough to give Democrats a brief 17-16 majority.
When Wanggaard runs in 2014, the boundaries of the 21st Senate District will be different than in 2012. They were redrawn by the Republican-controlled Legislature and Lehman says they greatly favor Wanggaard.
Lehman lost to Wanggaard in the 2010 election. Lehman says he had been happily retired before the recall and does not know if he will run again in 2014.
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- CSAs connecting fresh produce to consumers
- La Crosse 12-year-old to clean up skate park with community help
- Thousands honored in La Crosse for volunteering
- Mom who made kids sleep in feces-covered room gets probation