SPARTA, Wis. (WKBT) - The Sparta Area Chamber of Commerce is using its "Opportunity Grant" to help businesses, help their community.
The chamber is looking for candidates which meets its mission statement. Applicants should help unify the community while creating new possibilities for others. The grant is partly due to the success of the chamber. An increase in membership allowed the chamber to set aside funds to help businesses in the area.
Members of the chamber hope the grant will bring in businesses that can help boost its economy in struggling parts of the city, especially its downtown.
"I would love to see some retail specialty shops that are looking to move to our downtown one of the things that was mentioned it would be great to have a bakery in our downtown, for those people that are looking for those fresh products," said Executive Director of the chamber Tim Hyma.
Applications must be sent in to the Chamber of Commerce before September 30.The chamber will select candidates at the end of October.
Funds will be available for those selected by the first of the year.
- Holmen homicide suspect pleads guilty in 2015 murder
- Turnout hits 8 percent in Wisconsin superintendent race
- Powerball jackpot tops $400 million for 1st time in months
- The guitar that will build a La Crosse home
- Former Packer talks leadership, teamwork at Boy Scouts fundraiser
- Iowa mayor wraps up address with bluesy salute to his city
- Family to announce settlement in police shooting case
- Fresh snow possible for American Birkebeiner
- Interfaith panel promotes understanding
- 'Spudmobile' makes stop at La Crosse schools