LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A new social media craze went viral last weekend and is a major cause for concern.
Maybe you've heard of the "Cinnamon Challenge" or the "Cold Water Challenge."
This one is called the "Fire Challenge." It has participants pour rubbing alcohol on themselves and then lighting it on fire. The goal of the challenge is to put the fire out before receiving burns.
One Kentucky teen took the challenge and ended up in the hospital with second degree burns. Unlike the "Cinnamon Challenge" or the "Cold Water Challenge" this one can be life threatening.
"This definitely ramps up the escalation of potential injury and harm that can come to the patient or to the individual that is taking some challenge like this," said Gundersen Health System Trauma Surgeon Mason Fisher.
Life threatening injuries can occur within seconds of being lit on fire.
- You participated in the Women's March. Now what?
- Local event helps connect military families
- Dayton's State of the State will set stage for 2017 session
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Trump to meet congressional leaders Monday at the White House
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos
- Man died after kayak capsized, Des Moines authorities say
- Man fatally shot in Waterloo, authorities say