DE SOTO, Wis. -- A rural De Soto woman is arrested after her husband is killed in an alleged drunk driving crash.
The accident happened Wednesday at about 7:00 p.m. on Highway 82 between De Soto and Redmound, near County Road UU.
Sharon Gray, 53, was driving east on Highway 82 when she lost control on a curve. Gray's vehicle crossed the road, when down an embankment and hit a fence, causing the vehicle to flip.
The vehicle landed on its wheels and started on fire. Wheatland First Responders were able to get Gray, who was wearing a seatbelt, out of the vehicle. She was taken to Gundersen Lutheran in La Crosse with non-life threatening injuries.
Gray's husband, 54-year-old Jason Gray, who investigators say was not wearing a seatbelt, was thrown from the vehicle when it flipped. He was pronounced dead at the scene by the Vernon County Coroner's Office.13475032
After being released from the hospital, Sharon Gray was arrested and taken to the Vernon County Jail on a possible charge of homicide by intoxicated use of a vehicle.
Gray appeared in Vernon County Court Thursday morning for a bail hearing. She was released on a $5,000 signature bond.
Sheriff John Spears tells News 8 the couple was allegedly drinking at Cottonwood Park in De Soto before the accident.
This is Vernon County's fourth fatal accident this year.
VERNON COUNTY, Wis. -- One person is dead after a single car crash in Vernon County.
Authorities tell News 8 it happened Wednesday night on Highway 82 near Highway UU, about five miles northeast of De Soto.
Two people were in the vehicle. Tri-State Ambulance says one person died at the scene. The other was taken to the hospital, but their condition is unknown.
The crash remains under investigation.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- Course teaches Somali culture in central Minnesota
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 29, 2017
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership