BAYFIELD, Wis. (AP) - Authorities have identified the two men who died when they broke through ice while snowmobiling on Lake Superior off Madeline Island.
The victims were 30-year-old Joshua Reynolds and 38-year-old Mark Backes, both of La Pointe.
Authorities say the two men apparently were riding on a single snowmobile when they left Bayfield about 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, bound for La Pointe on Madeline Island. They were reported overdue and missing about 12 hours later.
The Duluth News Tribune reports one of the men was found in open water about 10 a.m. Thursday. Rescue crews found the body of the second victim about 1 p.m.
The snowmobile was found partially submerged in the area of the South Channel.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death