LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A revolutionary cancer treatment was the focus of a talk Wednesday morning in La Crosse.
The Radiation Oncology Chair at Rochester's Mayo Clinic Health System visited the Radisson Hotel to talk about the success of Proton Beam Therapy.
The therapy uses an incredibly precise tool to treat specific cancers without damaging other organs and tissues. The proton beams lose their energy after hitting the cancer... whereas X- rays will continue through the rest of the body.
Officials say the improving technology is making more available for other clinics across the country.
"The technology has been rapidly changing recently, and the equipment and the facilities are becoming less expensive. They're becoming more common," said Rochester Mayo Health Clinic's Chair of Radiation and Oncology Robert Foot, M.D.
Officials say the Proton Beam Treatment could be beneficial for children as well. The focused treatment would help avoid as much long- term damage as possible.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death