LA CROSSE, Wis. - Some downtown La Crosse businesses were evacuated this afternoon after reports of a natural gas leak.
Crews were searching throughout the area starting at around 1 p..m.
Authorities confirmed the smell, but have been unable to find a source. They say it stretched from downtown all the way south to Gundersen Lutheran.19568774
Firefighters monitored buildings throughout downtown and no detectable gas was found.
The fire department says in the past, an odorant added to natural gas, mercaptin had been accidentially released in the area "and created similar scares." The odor was gone by 2 p.m. and no other reports were made to dispatch.
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in Wisconsin
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Mom who made kids sleep in feces-covered room gets probation
- Democrats announce new gun safety coalition
- Bill would eliminate last of Wisconsin's prevailing wage
- First Battalion aviation unit deploys to Middle East