BANGOR, Wis. (WKBT) - A small grass fire on land between Bangor and Sparta erupted and spread to a nearby forest Wednesday evening.
Crews responded to a report of a grass fire at about 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday near Sommers Road, between Highway 162 and County Rd. A, in northern La Crosse Co near the Four Corners area. The dry conditions and wind caused the fire to spread quickly and grow. Authorities estimate more than 100 firefighters from 5 different departments and the D.N.R were on scene. The Red Cross was also there giving firefighters food and water.
Late Wednesday night, crews on scene reported a wind shift and flare-ups, but were able to get it back under control. As of early Thursday morning, the fire was completely contained. But firefighters did expect they'd have to return to the scene of the fire during the day on Thursday.
The Bangor Fire Department tells News 8 it estimates 77.7 acres of land burned in the wildfire. No injuries are reported.
Authorities don't believe there's any danger to the public. It's not known how the fire started.
- Wisconsin Revenue Department touts anti-fraud efforts
- The Latest: Wisconsin superintendent hopefuls hold forum
- Two found dead near Oshkosh during welfare check
- Republican proposes raising UW tuition by inflation, income
- New budget forecast coming Tuesday
- Stripper sues club in popular tourist destination
- Candidates for Wisconsin superintendent face off at forum
- Dayton administration proposes more energy from renewables
- Lawmakers push for hemp comeback in Wisconsin
- Senate to vote on ending ban on Sunday liquor sales