EAU CLAIRE, Wis. (AP) - Hutchinson Technology Inc. plans to cut another 150 jobs in Eau Claire.
HTI spokeswoman Connie Pautz said Wednesday company officials anticipate the reduction will be complete by fall.
The Leader-Telegram reports the layoffs come as the Hutchinson, Minn.-based company continues to shift assembly work to its plant in Thailand.
HTI had peak local employment of about 2,500 since launching Eau Claire operations in 1995. Pautz says employment is projected to drop to about 595 by the time the latest downsizing effort is finished.
HTI designs, develops and manufactures tiny components for the disk drive industry, a key component of the volatile high technology sector.
Eau Claire's economic development administrator, Mike Schatz, says he's disappointed to learn of the layoffs at one of Eau Claire's largest employers.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- Ninth annual Earth Fair attracts local families
- Coulee Council on Addictions announces plans for new building
- La Crosse brush pick-up starts this week
- Course teaches Somali culture in central Minnesota