LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A La Crosse man was charged in connection to an attempted armed robbery at an apartment on the 1100 block of 9th Street S. on Thursday, January 9.
James D. Green, 23, was charged with attempted armed robbery with threat of force as party to a crime and possession of a firearm by a felon, as party to the crime.
La Crosse police said Green and a 15-year-old male entered an apartment building wearing masks and carrying weapons at about 5:30 p.m. on January 9.
The woman who lived in the apartment told police she heard a knock on her apartment door. When she asked who it was, someone told her they found some of her mail outside on the ground, the complaint states. She opened the door and two men entered her apartment.
One of the suspects showed a handgun and said, "We don't want to hurt you. Just give us the money."
The complaint states the victim told the suspect there was no money. She was in the apartment with another woman and two children under the age of five. The victims went into the bathroom where they called 911 and hid the phone but kept it on so the dispatcher could hear what was going on. The complaint states the victim closed the door to the bathroom and could hear what sounded like the suspects ransacking her apartment looking for things. When they came out of the bathroom, she noticed her things were all over the place and the mattress had been moved, but nothing taken.
Shortly after police arrived on scene Green and the juvenile left the front of the apartment complex and were taken into custody. Both suspects denied any involvement in an armed robbery and said they were meeting friends inside the apartment building.
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers
- Xcel sets new record for hydroelectric production
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families
- La Crosse Public Education Foundation honors grant recipients
- 1 dead, 4 others injured by apparent carbon monoxide
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- Missing elderly man found dead in Grant County
- State leaders push for more progress at MLK Day celebration