TOMAH, Wis. (WKBT) - A three-car accident in Monroe County left one person dead and others injured Saturday afternoon.
Deputies on scene say around 3:30 p.m., a car drifted into oncoming traffic on Highway 21 near Funnel Road east of Tomah. The car hit another vehicle head-on, and another vehicle pulling a camper was able to swerve out of the way.
Officers say the driver of the drifting car died on impact. A statement from the Monroe County Sheriff's Office named the driver as Roger Beyer, 77, of Minnesota.
A 10-year-old child who was also in the vehicle was transported to Tomah Memorial Hospital. As of Sunday afternoon, the child was in critical condition. The driver of the other vehicle was airlifted by helicopter.
Both lanes on Highway 21 were closed for several hours following the accident.
- La Crosse Police urge boaters to be safe over weekend
- De Soto student in custody for school threat
- Rail tank car helps first responders prepare in case of derailment
- Locomotive engine oil spill in Jackson county
- The Latest: Teens in Wisconsin plane crash identified
- The Latest: Teen plane crash survivor in serious condition
- Wisconsin seeks to be first to drug test Medicaid applicants
- Wisconsin woman jumps on hood of her SUV to prevent theft
- Minneapolis plastic bag ban could be blocked
- Task force catches more criminals exploiting children online