TOMAH, Wis. (WKBT) - A three-car accident in Monroe County left one person dead and others injured Saturday afternoon.
Deputies on scene say around 3:30 p.m., a car drifted into oncoming traffic on Highway 21 near Funnel Road east of Tomah. The car hit another vehicle head-on, and another vehicle pulling a camper was able to swerve out of the way.
Officers say the driver of the drifting car died on impact. A statement from the Monroe County Sheriff's Office named the driver as Roger Beyer, 77, of Minnesota.
A 10-year-old child who was also in the vehicle was transported to Tomah Memorial Hospital. As of Sunday afternoon, the child was in critical condition. The driver of the other vehicle was airlifted by helicopter.
Both lanes on Highway 21 were closed for several hours following the accident.
- Plans on hold for proposed cell towers in La Crosse
- Minnesota Gov. Dayton collapses during speech
- Gov. Walker proposes welfare changes
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- La Crosse's Satori Arts to be featured on 'American Pickers'
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups
- WinCraft gets to work making Super Bowl merchandise
- ‘School Choice Week' showcases local schools for parents
- Bill Feehan remains La Crosse Republican Party Chairman
- Wisconsin Republicans criticize Baldwin for fundraiser