TOMAH, Wis. (WKBT) - A three-car accident in Monroe County left one person dead and others injured Saturday afternoon.
Deputies on scene say around 3:30 p.m., a car drifted into oncoming traffic on Highway 21 near Funnel Road east of Tomah. The car hit another vehicle head-on, and another vehicle pulling a camper was able to swerve out of the way.
Officers say the driver of the drifting car died on impact. A statement from the Monroe County Sheriff's Office named the driver as Roger Beyer, 77, of Minnesota.
A 10-year-old child who was also in the vehicle was transported to Tomah Memorial Hospital. As of Sunday afternoon, the child was in critical condition. The driver of the other vehicle was airlifted by helicopter.
Both lanes on Highway 21 were closed for several hours following the accident.
- Evers, Holtz win primary for state school superintendent
- Statewide personal care worker shortage creates uncertain future
- Local golfers take advantage of recent warm weather
- UW-La Crosse officials discuss possibility of tobacco-free campus
- Report: State trooper faces child porn charges
- Padesky, Dutton move on in city council primary
- Radtke, Schaumberg advance in Trempealeau Co. judge primary
- News 8 Highlight Zone - February 21, 2017
- Adaptive Sports League wraps up winter season with floor hockey tourney
- February Primaries bring voters out in La Crosse