MONROE COUNTY, Wis. (WKBT) - The Monroe County Sheriff's Office is warning residents about a possible scam involving a caller claiming to be from the Monroe County Service and Process Department.
The Sheriff's Office said the caller says they're referencing fraud charges. If someone calls the number back, they get a message that says "Mutual" and you have to leave a message.
"The Monroe County Sheriff's Office is not making any such calls nor do we have anyone making them for us," said Detective Sergeant Ronald D. Rader with the Monroe County Sheriff's Office.
Sergeant Rader said the Sheriff's Office says suspicious calls that ask people for personal information, such as social security or credit card numbers, increase during tax season. If you have received calls like the one referenced above, you can report them to www.ic3.gov. If you have any questions of these kinds of issues, contact the Monroe County Sheriff's Office at (608) 269-2117.24170926
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 29, 2017
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks