MONROE COUNTY, Wis. (WKBT) - The Monroe County Sheriff's Office is warning residents about a possible scam involving a caller claiming to be from the Monroe County Service and Process Department.
The Sheriff's Office said the caller says they're referencing fraud charges. If someone calls the number back, they get a message that says "Mutual" and you have to leave a message.
"The Monroe County Sheriff's Office is not making any such calls nor do we have anyone making them for us," said Detective Sergeant Ronald D. Rader with the Monroe County Sheriff's Office.
Sergeant Rader said the Sheriff's Office says suspicious calls that ask people for personal information, such as social security or credit card numbers, increase during tax season. If you have received calls like the one referenced above, you can report them to www.ic3.gov. If you have any questions of these kinds of issues, contact the Monroe County Sheriff's Office at (608) 269-2117.24170926
- Local activists hold "Save Our Healthcare" rally
- Tomah police asking for help following morning high-speed chase
- US Rep. Pocan says he won't attend Trump inauguration
- Local bar burglarized
- Area youth group helps prepare for fundraiser
- Annual bridal expo prepares for wedding season
- More than a dozen cell towers may go up in La Crosse
- Potential suicide spike in La Crosse County
- UPDATE: Suspect charged in Trempealeau County fatal crash
- Area billion dollar company plans for joint venture