MADISON, Wis. - A man who was seen jumping off Monona Terrace into Lake Monona in a YouTube video is facing citations and fines.
Madison police said Steven A. Hoeg, 25, of Madison, was mailed citations for trespassing and drinking alcohol on public property. An officer investigated the man's identity after the video was posted and Monona Terrace staff contacted police last week.
The fines for the citations total more than $750, according to police.
Monona Terrace spokesperson Fran Puleo said there is a city ordinance that makes standing on the ledge a finable offense, because it is trespassing to go past the railing on the rooftop.
Puleo said building officials are disheartened by the incident and want to discourage anyone from doing it. There are cameras and a railing with no-trespassing signs on the rooftop, but Puleo said the incident may be a catalyst for looking into additional safety precautions.
In 2007 two teenagers who jumped off the same ledge were fined $400 each.27114548
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 29, 2017
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks