CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) - A Minnesota man has been charged with killing an Iowa woman in 1999.
Cedar Rapids police say 34-year-old Deshaun Phillips was arrested in Shakopee, Minnesota. He's charged with first-degree murder, accused of killing 44-year-old Judith Weeks. Her body was found in the backyard of a vacant Cedar Rapids apartment on April 5, 1999. An autopsy said she'd been struck in the forehead by a sharp object.
Cedar Rapids police say in a news release that the case was thoroughly investigated 14 years ago and has been reviewed several times over the years. But police say investigators specifically assigned to the case developed new information that led to the charge against Phillips.
A police spokeswoman didn't immediately return messages Monday from The Associated Press.
It's unclear whether Phillips has an attorney.
- Copyright 2016 by WKBT News8000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- On Your Side - Guide to Buying Glasses Online
- VIDEO: Area couples prepare for wedding season
- VIDEO: De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- VIDEO: Local event helps connect military families
- VIDEO: Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Local event helps connect military families
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Minnesota GOP charts new course in response to protests