CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) - A Minnesota man has been charged with killing an Iowa woman in 1999.
Cedar Rapids police say 34-year-old Deshaun Phillips was arrested in Shakopee, Minnesota. He's charged with first-degree murder, accused of killing 44-year-old Judith Weeks. Her body was found in the backyard of a vacant Cedar Rapids apartment on April 5, 1999. An autopsy said she'd been struck in the forehead by a sharp object.
Cedar Rapids police say in a news release that the case was thoroughly investigated 14 years ago and has been reviewed several times over the years. But police say investigators specifically assigned to the case developed new information that led to the charge against Phillips.
A police spokeswoman didn't immediately return messages Monday from The Associated Press.
It's unclear whether Phillips has an attorney.
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Excessive use of technology among youth raising concerns
- CSAs connecting fresh produce to consumers
- La Crosse 12-year-old to clean up skate park with community help
- Thousands honored in La Crosse for volunteering