ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - A Hamline University basketball player is accused of punching a woman while the team was in Spokane, Washington.
Eugene Lawrence III, 18, appeared in Spokane County Superior Court Wednesday on a second-degree assault charge.
Steve Bray, of Portland, Ore., says his 20-year-old daughter, Kayla, was visiting another Hamline player she knew from high school at the team's hotel on New Year's Eve. Bray says his daughter got in an argument with Lawrence at the hotel. He's accused of punching her in the face and knocking her to the floor.
KSTP-TV reports Kayla Bray was released from the hospital Wednesday evening following surgery for a broken jaw.
The St. Paul university says Lawrence has been place on interim suspension from the basketball team and the school. Documents on file at the Superior Court clerk's office do not list a defense attorney.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 29, 2017
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks