LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Rocket, the miniature horse that was surrendered to the Coulee Region Humane Society has found a good home.
The Humane Society told News 8 she was adopted early Thursday afternoon by Julie Miller and her family from La Crescent.
Julie told News 8 she was bombarded Wednesday on her Facebook page by family and friends who shared our WKBT News8000 Facebook picture of Rocket. They told Julie she should adopt Rocket. Her family agreed.
"I called at 5:10 p.m. but they were closed," Julie said. "I went to the Humane Society when they opened today. I wanted to be the first one."
When she and her daughter Jade found out they were approved, they did a high five.
"Then I felt bad because there were other people that they had to tell she was adopted already," Julie said.
Rocket will live on a farm with the Miler family in La Crescent with seven miniature donkeys, seven horses- one is a miniature, three dogs, two cats and some chickens.
"I want to do pet therapy with her – go to nursing homes and schools."
Julie said she plans to create a Rocket the Rescue Facebook page soon so the community can follow wherever Rocket goes.
PREVIOUS STORY (Wednesday, August 27):
The Coulee Region Humane Society is taking care of an unusual guest.
A couple of days ago a miniature horse was surrendered to the organization.
The owner didn't have the means or the time to take care of eight-year-old Rocket. And now because of the space Rocket is currently living in, the humane society is asking for the public's help in finding her a loving home.
"We are just looking for a home that has some experience with horses in general so they kind of know what they're getting themselves into. The kennel is not ideal for a horse to be set up in. So getting her out of here as soon as possible would be the best for her," said Coulee Region Humane Society Executive Director Heather Hankins.
She says despite Rocket's size she has already made friends with all the animals at the humane society.
If you would like more information on how to adopt Rocket contact the Humane Society at (608)781-4014.
- Hunger Task Force garners tons of food through Family Fest
- La Crosse Fire Department offering free smoke alarm installation
- Area prospective home buyers learning basics
- Sunday liquor sales heads for final Minnesota Senate vote
- Viterbo celebrates one year of 'Service Saturdays'
- New safety measures on the way to Norplex Drive after recent creek death
- Rep. Walz mulling Democratic bid for Minnesota governor
- Gundersen program helps mothers, parents with drug addictions
- Wisconsin attorney general appeals redistricting ruling
- Researchers may have found link between stress and weight gain