MEDIAPOLIS, Iowa (AP) - An entry from the southeast corner of Iowa has been named best burger in the state.
The Des Moines Register says the Iowa Cattlemen's Association and the Iowa Beef Industry Council announced the 2013 winner Thursday. It is the Angus Black Crown Burger from 61 Chop House Grille in Mediapolis.
The half-pound broiled beef patty is cooked to medium and is topped with a beer-cheese sauce, a black pepper-flavored Colby-Jack cheese and apple-wood-smoked bacon. That stack of flavors is sandwiched between layers of a buttery egg bun.
The cattle groups say the restaurant beat 348 other entrants. Judges rated the 10 finalists on taste, appearance and proper serving temperature.
Last year's winner was Coon Bowl III in Coon Rapids.
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Mom who made kids sleep in feces-covered room gets probation
- Democrats announce new gun safety coalition
- Bill would eliminate last of Wisconsin's prevailing wage
- First Battalion aviation unit deploys to Middle East
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance