MEDIAPOLIS, Iowa (AP) - An entry from the southeast corner of Iowa has been named best burger in the state.
The Des Moines Register says the Iowa Cattlemen's Association and the Iowa Beef Industry Council announced the 2013 winner Thursday. It is the Angus Black Crown Burger from 61 Chop House Grille in Mediapolis.
The half-pound broiled beef patty is cooked to medium and is topped with a beer-cheese sauce, a black pepper-flavored Colby-Jack cheese and apple-wood-smoked bacon. That stack of flavors is sandwiched between layers of a buttery egg bun.
The cattle groups say the restaurant beat 348 other entrants. Judges rated the 10 finalists on taste, appearance and proper serving temperature.
Last year's winner was Coon Bowl III in Coon Rapids.
- The Latest: Walker proposes new welfare work requirements
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- La Crosse's Satori Arts to be featured on 'American Pickers'
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups
- Gov. Walker proposes welfare changes
- ‘School Choice Week' showcases local schools for parents
- Bill Feehan remains La Crosse Republican Party Chairman
- Wisconsin Republicans criticize Baldwin for fundraiser
- Parents accused of starving teen daughter plead not guilty
- State agency highlights climate change, 2 others ignore