MEDINA TOWNSHIP, Wis. - A Marshall woman has been arrested on suspicion of child neglect causing death and child neglect resulting in bodily harm after an investigation into the death of a 2-year-old girl, according to the Dane County Sheriff's Office.
Deputies said Connie M. Hartmann, 35, was arrested early Thursday morning after a domestic incident at her home at 1128 Berlin Road in Medina Township.
Investigators said a 2-year-old girl and 4-year-old boy were transported to local hospitals May 6 after they were discovered inside a vehicle and smelled strongly of gasoline.
The girl was found unconscious and the boy was conscious but ill, according to investigators.
The girl was pronounced dead at a St. Mary's emergency room in Sun Prairie and the boy recovered several days at University of Wisconsin Hospital before being released to foster care, where he remains.
Hartmann was arrested based on autopsy results and statements made by Hartmann and others' living in the Berlin Road home, according to investigators.
Detectives said they had planned on arresting Hartmann at 3:30 a.m. Thursday, but she was arrested in the domestic incident before they arrived.
Hartmann was arrested on suspicion of battery and disorderly conduct for the domestic incident.
- Wisconsin at high risk of wildfires after sunny, dry weather
- Trump, Walker discuss Wisconsin dairy dispute
- Prosecutor: No water for week led to jail dehydration death
- Student stabbed at Kenosha high school
- Bridge project in southeast Minnesota on schedule, budget
- House Republicans pass abortion bills
- Minnesota couple accused of sexually assaulting teenage girl
- Report: Saints, running back Peterson agree on contract
- Federal officials charge 15 with eagle trafficking
- Assignment: Education - Backpack meals