LA CROSSE, WI - Before thousands of people filled the streets to watch the parade on Copeland Avenue on Saturday, more than 2,000 athletes could be seen running down the same street for the annual Maple Leaf 5K walk or run.
The race started at Riverside Park in La Crosse and continued through the Maple Leaf parade route.
All proceeds from the event go to the YMCA's 2013 Strong Kids campaign.
The campaign helps more than 30,000 children participate in YMCA programs.
Organizers said the race was a huge success for the YMCA and the kids it will benefit.
"Huge day for us. Over 2,000 participants, a lot of money raised for our Strong Kids campaign, big event for us," Race Director Travis Pernsteiner.
Organizers hope to raise more than $350,000 from the race.22176422
- The Latest: Trump take executive action on oil pipelines
- Minnesota governor eyes fast return to work after collapse
- Plans on hold for proposed cell towers in La Crosse
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- Trial set for mom whose toddler was found wandering outside
- Wisconsin Democrats: County websites were hacked
- Bipartisan proposal would eliminate publishing minutes
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups
- Man accused of trying to kill unborn child arrested in NY
- Section of riverbank collapses near City Hall in Des Moines