MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Police say a man was seriously injured when he was hit by a freight train on Nicollet Island in downtown Minneapolis.
WCCO Radio reports police responded to scene near DeLaSalle High School just after midnight Saturday on a report that a man had been hit by a train. The person who called 911 told authorities his friend's legs apparently had been severed by the train.
Police said first responders gave the victim immediate medical attention that likely saved his life.
The victim's name and condition have not been released, but police say both men are in their 30s. It wasn't immediately known if the victim's legs could be saved. The man who reported the accident was not hurt.
Police say alcohol may have been a factor in the accident.
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse celebrates Arbor Day with a tree planting
- M.S. Walk raising money for medical research
- News 8 Sports Round Up-April 28, 2017
- Community leaders observe Workers Memorial Day
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Kenosha teen stabbed at school dies