LA CROSSE, Wis. - A 27-year-old La Crosse man was struck with a stun gun and arrested after a fight with a taxi driver and an altercation with police on Tuesday.
Justin McCormick faces several charges including, attempted robbery; attempt to disarm a police officer; battery; disorderly conduct; resisting arrest; possession of drug paraphernalia; and a probation warrant.
Police were called to the intersection of St. Andrews and Avon Streets at 1:53 a.m. on Tuesday for a fight between a taxi driver and McCormick. According to the police report, McCormick was at a bar on Avon Street when the bartender gave him a safe ride ticket. The taxi driver told police McCormick was very intoxicated and passed out when he got in the taxi.
The report states the driver asked where McCormick needed to go. When he started driving, McCormick told him he was going the wrong way several times and eventually said he's "not going anywhere." The driver told McCormick that if he didn't leave the cab, he was going to call the cops. The report states McCormick then threatened the driver.
The driver told police he felt unsafe in the taxi with McCormick sitting right behind him, so he got out of the cab. The report states when McCormick got out, he told the driver, "I'll rob you" and later punched him in the nose and on the side of the neck. Police say the driver kicked McCormick to get him away, which caused McCormick to fall on the ice. The taxi driver then got in his car and drove a short distance and waited for police.
When police arrived, they found McCormick hitting the driver's side door window. Police say an officer pulled his stun gun out and pointed it at McCormick who then hit the stun gun away with his hand and swore at the officer. The report says the officer stepped back, but McCormick moved toward him. The officer struck McCormick with the stun gun in the abdomen.
While officers searched McCormick, he told police he did not have a job and he "just robs people." Police say McCormick threatened to hurt officers and fight with them while they searched him. Officers found drug paraphernalia.
McCormick faces charges for attempted robbery; attempt to disarm a police officer, battery; disorderly conduct; resisting arrest; possession of drug paraphernalia; and a probation warrant.
- Copyright 2016 by WKBT News8000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- On Your Side - Guide to Buying Glasses Online
- VIDEO: Area couples prepare for wedding season
- VIDEO: De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- VIDEO: Local event helps connect military families
- VIDEO: Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Local event helps connect military families
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Minnesota GOP charts new course in response to protests