STEVENS POINT, Wis. (AP) - A Portage County jury has found a 28-year-old man guilty of causing the death of his girlfriend's 2-year-old son.
Stevens Point Journal Media reports Reymundo Perez was found guilty of first-degree reckless homicide and child abuse causing great harm. He's accused of slamming Felix Villa-Martinez to the ground twice on Oct. 26, 2011.
Perez appeared emotionless as Judge John Finn read the guilty verdict.
Members of the audience were in tears, struggling to keep their emotions inaudible. Finn sternly reminded audience members before bringing in the jury that he would tolerate no emotional outbursts after the verdict was read.
The verdict concluded a nine-day trial. Perez could face up to 75 years in prison on both charges.
Attorneys will meet Monday to discuss a sentencing date.
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged Dec. 22 shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death
- Stolen passwords used to change some grades, university says
- Search resumes for girl missing in western Iowa river