STEVENS POINT, Wis. (AP) - A Portage County jury has found a 28-year-old man guilty of causing the death of his girlfriend's 2-year-old son.
Stevens Point Journal Media reports Reymundo Perez was found guilty of first-degree reckless homicide and child abuse causing great harm. He's accused of slamming Felix Villa-Martinez to the ground twice on Oct. 26, 2011.
Perez appeared emotionless as Judge John Finn read the guilty verdict.
Members of the audience were in tears, struggling to keep their emotions inaudible. Finn sternly reminded audience members before bringing in the jury that he would tolerate no emotional outbursts after the verdict was read.
The verdict concluded a nine-day trial. Perez could face up to 75 years in prison on both charges.
Attorneys will meet Monday to discuss a sentencing date.
- New safety measures on the way to Norplex Drive after recent creek death
- Rep. Walz mulling Democratic bid for Minnesota governor
- Gundersen program helps mothers, parents with drug addictions
- La Crosse rally supports transgender youth
- Wisconsin attorney general appeals redistricting ruling
- Officers go 'wild' in support of Special Olympics
- Family Fest returns to La Crosse Center this weekend
- Vikings' stadium board at full strength after resignations
- Storm misses Birkie course, race canceled
- Judges express skepticism over claims in voting cases