STEVENS POINT, Wis. (AP) - A Portage County jury has found a 28-year-old man guilty of causing the death of his girlfriend's 2-year-old son.
Stevens Point Journal Media reports Reymundo Perez was found guilty of first-degree reckless homicide and child abuse causing great harm. He's accused of slamming Felix Villa-Martinez to the ground twice on Oct. 26, 2011.
Perez appeared emotionless as Judge John Finn read the guilty verdict.
Members of the audience were in tears, struggling to keep their emotions inaudible. Finn sternly reminded audience members before bringing in the jury that he would tolerate no emotional outbursts after the verdict was read.
The verdict concluded a nine-day trial. Perez could face up to 75 years in prison on both charges.
Attorneys will meet Monday to discuss a sentencing date.
- La Crosse Police urge boaters to be safe over weekend
- De Soto student in custody for school threat
- Man convicted of killing Wisconsin woman buried in basement
- Jury convicts man in St. Paul workplace shooting of ex-wife
- Troopers focus on Interstate 90 in South Dakota, Minnesota
- Woman jumps on hood of car to stop thief
- Judge dismisses lawsuit from teacher body-slammed by student
- Dubuque high school teacher charged in marijuana case
- 18-year-old suspect in custody in Appleton bank robbery
- Minneapolis man arrested in Columbia Heights bank robbery