TOWN OF CRYSTAL, WI (AP) - An Illinois man is believed to have died of exposure after crawling out of a truck that broke through an icy lake in northwestern Wisconsin.
The Washburn County Sheriff's Office identifies the man as 30-year-old Edward Steinhardt of Naperville, Ill. The Duluth News-Tribune reports that deputies had been searching for him since Dec. 23, when a business owner in St. Louis, Mo., reported a missing employee in a vehicle with a last GPS location in Washburn County.
On Friday, deputies searched the Dilly Lake area in the Town of Crystal. They found the truck partially submerged at the south end of the lake, and Steinhardt's body about a half-mile south along a creek.
Authorities believe Steinhardt likely escaped from his vehicle but then succumbed to the cold.
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Mom who made kids sleep in feces-covered room gets probation
- Democrats announce new gun safety coalition
- Bill would eliminate last of Wisconsin's prevailing wage
- First Battalion aviation unit deploys to Middle East
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance