MONROE COUNTY, WI - A 53-year-old man driving a small pickup truck died in a two-vehicle head-on crash on Highway 27 Friday afternoon.
The Monroe County Sheriff's Office says it's not clear yet which direction each vehicle was traveling or what caused the crash.
The incident happened at about 12:45 p.m. about one mile north of the City of Sparta in the Township of Sparta. A 52-year-old woman driving a four-door sedan was seriously injured and transported to Mayo Clinic Healthcare in Sparta. MedFlight later flew her to a hospital in Marshfield.
Traffic on Highway 27 was blocked and diverted for about 2 ½ hours from Cataract to Sparta while the crash was investigated and cleared.
The crash also impacted school buses from the Sparta Area School District. The district said routes 2, 23, and 31 were anticipated to be most directly impacted. However, other routes were likely impacted due to bus transfers and detoured traffic. Re-routed traffic near Meadowview Schools and the High School/Lawrence Lawson areas likely created more congestion at dismissal times.
The Sparta Area School District alerted parents via its messaging system, said Director of Business Services Kent Ellickson. News 8 also sent a text message to our subscribers in the Sparta Area School District list.
The Monroe County 911 Communication Center, Sparta Fire District, Sparta Ambulance Service, Sparta Police Department and the Monroe County Highway Department assisted the Monroe County Sheriff's Office with this incident.22515982
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Democrats propose legalizing medical marijuana
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Sonar scans help divers target Lake Erie plane crash search
- Baldwin, Kind both attending inauguration while Pocan skips
- UnitedHealth tops Street 4Q forecasts
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers
- Xcel sets new record for hydroelectric production
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families