BALSAM LAKE, Wis. (AP) - Prosecutors in northwestern Wisconsin say a man with a violent criminal history was freed from the Polk County Jail on a reduced bail and two weeks later brutally killed his fiancee.
Medical personnel and police testified during a preliminary hearing Tuesday about the extensive injuries to 47-year-old Kari Roberts. Her body was found in her Milltown apartment Dec. 1. A criminal complaint says 45-year-old Scott Youngmark stabbed Roberts in the hips and thighs, fractured bones in her face and caused other sharp force injuries.
The St. Paul Pioneer Press says 15 days before Roberts was found slain, a judge lowered Youngmark's bond for bail jumping from $10,000 to $500. Court records show Roberts' violent behavior includes a long list of convictions in Minnesota dating back to 1986.
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Local students compete in dairy cook off
- Cub scouts donate bird nest boxes to La Crosse marsh
- La Crosse Police policies to be assessed in accreditation process
- Excessive use of technology among youth raising concerns