MADISON, Wis. - Officers recovered more than two dozen shell casings at a scene where a man in his 20s was shot on Madison's south side Wednesday, officials said.
Madison police said officers responded to a report of a man shot at about 9:45 a.m. in the 2700 block of McDivitt Road.
Police said witnesses reported multiple shots were fired in the area. A man in his 20s was found shot in the head in the street, and as of Wednesday afternoon, officers had recovered more than 25 shell casings. Investigators believed more than one gun was fired.
At least two bullets struck a nearby apartment building, but no injuries were reported inside.
Madison police Chief Mike Koval said the man who was shot suffered life-threatening injuries and was taken to the hospital.
Leopold Elementary School, at 2602 Post Road, which is less than a mile from the scene, was locked down Wednesday morning as a precaution, police said.
Koval said the shooting was targeted.
"This was not by any means random," Koval said. "There appears to be some sort of preexisting relationship or knowledge of one another. It was exceeding targeted and obviously excessive on the number of rounds that we are recovering at the scene."
Police detained several people from a car that was seen driving away from the scene but have not identified anyone was a suspect. Police said the shooter was still at large Wednesday and likely drove away after shooting the man.
Investigators are still looking for a motive.
"We have been having a number of shots fired in various neighborhoods," Koval said. "This neighborhood in particular has been on our radar for the last month or so, and so we are not ruling anything or anyone out."
Officials said around 1:45 p.m. that there was no longer any imminent danger to those working or living in the area of the shooting.
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest