LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Fire safety is on display this holiday season as local Fire Departments' try to 'Keep the Wreath Green.'
Departments from La Crosse, Onalaska, Campbell and La Crescent will hang wreaths decorated with green Christmas lights at their stations this year.
Every time a station responds to a structure fire, a green light is replaced with a red one... to raise awareness about fire safety.
Fire officials say the best thing you can do to prevent a fire is to not leave electronics and stoves unattended.
"People leaving their houses, you know, they have their trees lit, they have many people over, they're distracted, cooking. You know, a lot of those events can cause these fires," said Brian Elsen, Lieutenant with the La Crosse Fire Department.
Fire officials recommend you check your smoke detectors and turn off any electronics and cooking appliances before leaving the house.
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest