LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Fire safety is on display this holiday season as local Fire Departments' try to 'Keep the Wreath Green.'
Departments from La Crosse, Onalaska, Campbell and La Crescent will hang wreaths decorated with green Christmas lights at their stations this year.
Every time a station responds to a structure fire, a green light is replaced with a red one... to raise awareness about fire safety.
Fire officials say the best thing you can do to prevent a fire is to not leave electronics and stoves unattended.
"People leaving their houses, you know, they have their trees lit, they have many people over, they're distracted, cooking. You know, a lot of those events can cause these fires," said Brian Elsen, Lieutenant with the La Crosse Fire Department.
Fire officials recommend you check your smoke detectors and turn off any electronics and cooking appliances before leaving the house.
- Hunger Task Force garners tons of food through Family Fest
- La Crosse Fire Department offering free smoke alarm installation
- Area prospective home buyers learning basics
- Sunday liquor sales heads for final Minnesota Senate vote
- Viterbo celebrates one year of 'Service Saturdays'
- New safety measures on the way to Norplex Drive after recent creek death
- Rep. Walz mulling Democratic bid for Minnesota governor
- Gundersen program helps mothers, parents with drug addictions
- Wisconsin attorney general appeals redistricting ruling
- Researchers may have found link between stress and weight gain