LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Fire safety is on display this holiday season as local Fire Departments' try to 'Keep the Wreath Green.'
Departments from La Crosse, Onalaska, Campbell and La Crescent will hang wreaths decorated with green Christmas lights at their stations this year.
Every time a station responds to a structure fire, a green light is replaced with a red one... to raise awareness about fire safety.
Fire officials say the best thing you can do to prevent a fire is to not leave electronics and stoves unattended.
"People leaving their houses, you know, they have their trees lit, they have many people over, they're distracted, cooking. You know, a lot of those events can cause these fires," said Brian Elsen, Lieutenant with the La Crosse Fire Department.
Fire officials recommend you check your smoke detectors and turn off any electronics and cooking appliances before leaving the house.
- 4 killed, 5 injured in minivan-pickup crash in NW Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Democrats view Republican Gov. Walker as beatable
- Man being deported after transit officer asked about status
- Thousands traveling on Memorial Day weekend
- Community shares Memorial Day plans, traditions
- News 8 Sports Round Up- May 27, 2017
- Local Radio Shack closing permanently
- 3 Rivers Nutrition hosts beach fitness camp
- Wet weather delays crop planting
- Wisconsin 2016 job gain smallest in 6 years