THORP, Wis. (AP) - The Clark County town of Colby is where Colby cheese was created in 1885. But now cheese lovers have another Wisconsin destination to visit -- the nearby town of Thorp, the hometown of the nation's top cheesemaker.
Marieke Penterman won the U.S. Championship Cheese Contest in Green Bay this week. Her Marieke Mature Gouda cheese took top honors out of a field of 1,700 cheese entrants.
A Milwaukee Journal Sentinel report says her family already had plans to build a 100-acre farm and creamery, with viewing windows where tourists could watch the 300 cows being milked. They hope to have the new facility up and running in early October.
Thorp has a population of 1,600, and is about 40 miles east of Eau Claire.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- Injured Packers Nelson, Adams could be game-time decisions
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial