LA CROSSE, Wis. - Chileda Classic organizers spent Friday getting ready for the final La Crosse event and registering participants.
Saturday, July 6 will be the final run for the Chileda Classic. The race has been a fundraiser for Chileda for the past 32 years.
In-person registration for the 5K and 10K run/walk goes until 6 p.m. on Friday, July 5 at the Radisson in the Wisconsin room. There is no race day registration for the 5K and 10K.
There is limited race day registration for the kids race from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m.
Event organizers say this is the last year of the Chileda Classic because the number of runners has leveled of in recent years and they're not seeing the pledges they used to in the past. City fees to hold the race has also jumped.
"People are looking for other kinds of races, color races and mud runs and other fun things, there's a lot more competition now than there used to be, and we're just not seeing the revenue that we used to see from the race, so we're going to move on to something different," says Ruth Wiseman, president and C.E.O. of Chileda.
Money raised from this year's event will help purchse generators for the building and some new playground equipment.20858478
For more information on the Chileda Classic, visit www.Chileda.org.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death