LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Nine-year-old Bennett Fried, member of the La Crosse Track Club, has qualified to compete in the 2014 USATF Junior Olympics national championship.
Fried placed in three events at the USA Track & Field Region 8 Track & Field Meet in Omaha Nebraska this weekend. He finished first in the 400-meter-dash, third in the 100-meter-dash, and fourth in the 200-meter-dash, qualifying him to move on.
Among La Crosse were other teams from Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, and North and South Dakota that competed in the regional meet.
"I got to see some new things in Omaha and had fun at the track meet. It was cool to represent La Crosse and qualify for nationals," Fried said.
The national championship will be held in Humble, Texas July 21-27.
- Deputy: 1 ejected, several injured in school bus vs. dump truck crash
- Prison launches service dog training program
- Heart disease survivor pushes forward
- Flooding affecting Memorial Day camping in La Crosse
- Father-son team arrested in Chicago-to-La Crosse drug trade, police say
- La Crosse Valley View Mall for sale by property owner
- Emergency responders take part in mass casualty drill at La Crosse airport
- Gehl Foods distributed nacho cheese linked to fatal botulism
- Bennett getting acclimated quickly to Packers
- La Crosse Center approves 10-game schedule for pro basketball team