LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Nine-year-old Bennett Fried, member of the La Crosse Track Club, has qualified to compete in the 2014 USATF Junior Olympics national championship.
Fried placed in three events at the USA Track & Field Region 8 Track & Field Meet in Omaha Nebraska this weekend. He finished first in the 400-meter-dash, third in the 100-meter-dash, and fourth in the 200-meter-dash, qualifying him to move on.
Among La Crosse were other teams from Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, and North and South Dakota that competed in the regional meet.
"I got to see some new things in Omaha and had fun at the track meet. It was cool to represent La Crosse and qualify for nationals," Fried said.
The national championship will be held in Humble, Texas July 21-27.
- Area hotel damaged after bizarre car crash
- Donor recipients, family meet for first time in Onalaska
- Sunday liquor sales ban on Minnesota House's chopping block
- Area organization helping so all girls can go to prom
- Taste of Trempealeau event raises money for public library
- Viroqua chef nominated for highest honor in restaurant industry
- State to contribute $5 million to La Crosse Center renovations
- La Crosse Fire Department investigating two early morning fires
- Police searching for man who robbed Holy Smokes at gun point
- Warmer than average temperatures benefit area businesses, ski tournaments