LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Nine-year-old Bennett Fried, member of the La Crosse Track Club, has qualified to compete in the 2014 USATF Junior Olympics national championship.
Fried placed in three events at the USA Track & Field Region 8 Track & Field Meet in Omaha Nebraska this weekend. He finished first in the 400-meter-dash, third in the 100-meter-dash, and fourth in the 200-meter-dash, qualifying him to move on.
Among La Crosse were other teams from Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, and North and South Dakota that competed in the regional meet.
"I got to see some new things in Omaha and had fun at the track meet. It was cool to represent La Crosse and qualify for nationals," Fried said.
The national championship will be held in Humble, Texas July 21-27.
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Handful of rat virus cases seen in Wisconsin and Illinois
- Pocan compliments Trump before skipping inauguration
- Nebraska, Iowa Guard troops assigned inauguration duties
- E. Iowa man charged in death of woman killed by cannon
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion Hunt Clues 2017
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge