LA CRESCENT, Minn. (WKBT) - An 8-year-old boy from La Crescent is getting some good news in the midst of a difficult time.
Obadiah "Obi" Christenson is fighting cancer. His family says his condition worsened recently and he was undergoing surgery Monday.
Obi was also competing in White Cloud's national tissue box design contest.
Voting for the contest ended Friday and Obi came in fourth place. The top 3 finalists were to have their designs appear on special boxes of White Cloud's new super soft facial tissues. The Children's Miracle Network (CMN) program at their home hospital would also receive $15,000.
White Cloud wrote this on their Facebook page Monday: "We are amazed at the amount of support you have shown for our artists, and Obi in particular, during the #MiracleDesigns contest. Obi finished in fourth place, missing a top-three finish by a mere 82 votes.
We are excited to share some good news with Obi and his family at this difficult time for them.
We're happy to announce that we are making Obi an honorary fourth place winner in this year's Miracle Designs contest. The top four designers (including Obi!) will have their designs printed on White Cloud Facial Tissue boxes, receive a one-year supply of White Cloud products and earn a $15,000 donation to their Children's Miracle Network Hospital."
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Man arrested in apparent Hibbing homicide
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest
- Icy weather brings danger
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin