MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Retiring U.S. Sen. Herb Kohl is supporting Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett in the Democratic recall election primary.
Many Democrats wanted Kohl to run against Republican Gov. Scott Walker, but he stayed on the sidelines.
Kohl said in a statement Wednesday that he doesn't normally endorse in a primary, but he is this time because this is no ordinary election.
The endorsement comes on the heels of the AFL-CIO announcing it was backing Barrett's Democratic challenger Kathleen Falk. Every union that has endorsed so far has backed Falk.
The campaign is on hyper drive with the May 8 Democratic primary is less than four weeks away. The general election, where Walker will face whoever emerges from the Democratic primary, is June 5.
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks
- Farms' thirst for water roils Wisconsin's central sands
- Minnesota city to unleash goats on invasive plants