LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Kim Blum has been named the Interim Director of Athletics at UW-La Crosse.
Blum replaces Josh Whitman who is leaving UW-L to become the director of athletics at Washington University in St. Louis.
"I have incredible confidence in Kim's leadership capacity and in her unwavering commitment to UW-L Athletics," UW-L Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Dean of Students Dr. Paula Knudson said. "After a decade of working with our systems, coaches and student-athletes, Kim is well poised to step in and sustain the momentum of our programs. She understands the multiple dimensions of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (WIAC), and our 19 sports."
Blum will serve as interim athletic director for the 2014-15 academic year, beginning July 7. She is in her 10th year at UW-L and completed just her first year as Deputy Director of Athletics in 2013-14. She had been the university's Associate Athletic Director for nine years. As Deputy Director, Blum advises Whitman on all aspects of the intercollegiate athletics program, including strategic planning, personnel, facilities, and resource development.
"I feel honored to serve in this capacity," Blum said. "The UW-L athletic program is second-to-none in all facets and I have so much pride in what we do and who we are. I believe in the coaches, student-athletes and staff and there is nothing they can't accomplish. I am committed to doing all that I can to continue to move our department forward in the interim. I'm very grateful to Vice Chancellor Paula Knudson for this opportunity."
A national search for a full-time athletic director will begin in early 2015. Whitman's last day at UW-L is July 3.
- Hunger Task Force garners tons of food through Family Fest
- Viterbo celebrates one year of 'Service Saturdays'
- New safety measures on the way to Norplex Drive after recent creek death
- Rep. Walz mulling Democratic bid for Minnesota governor
- Gundersen program helps mothers, parents with drug addictions
- Wisconsin attorney general appeals redistricting ruling
- Area prospective home buyers learning basics
- La Crosse Fire Department offering free smoke alarm installation
- Researchers may have found link between stress and weight gain
- News 8 Highlight Zone - February 25, 2017