LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Unwrapping your gifts is half the fun of getting them, but when you get rid of boxes and wrapping don't invite criminals into your home.
The La Crosse County Sheriff's Department says leaving empty boxes outside your home greatly increases your chance to be burglarized.
It's especially true with expensive electronics like TVs and computers.
"If you do have those boxes, try to cut 'em up, either break the boxes down, cut them up into pieces where it will fit inside a recycle bin, or whatever, so people can't see what type of box or what was contained in that box," said La Crosse County Sheriff's Deputy Marte Peterson.
The sheriff also recommends putting out garbage as late as you can on garbage day.
And if you're going out of town ask family or a trusted neighbor to collect your mail, papers and keep your sidewalks and driveway clear of snow.23661344
- Repealing Obamacare: Trump says fast, Congress says slow
- Monday closings due to weather
- UPDATE: Tomah police believe they captured the suspects involved in a high speed chase Sunday
- US Rep. Pocan says he won't attend Trump inauguration
- Local activists hold "Save Our Healthcare" rally
- Local bar burglarized
- More than a dozen cell towers may go up in La Crosse
- Potential suicide spike in La Crosse County
- UPDATE: Suspect charged in Trempealeau County fatal crash
- Area youth group helps prepare for fundraiser