LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Unwrapping your gifts is half the fun of getting them, but when you get rid of boxes and wrapping don't invite criminals into your home.
The La Crosse County Sheriff's Department says leaving empty boxes outside your home greatly increases your chance to be burglarized.
It's especially true with expensive electronics like TVs and computers.
"If you do have those boxes, try to cut 'em up, either break the boxes down, cut them up into pieces where it will fit inside a recycle bin, or whatever, so people can't see what type of box or what was contained in that box," said La Crosse County Sheriff's Deputy Marte Peterson.
The sheriff also recommends putting out garbage as late as you can on garbage day.
And if you're going out of town ask family or a trusted neighbor to collect your mail, papers and keep your sidewalks and driveway clear of snow.23661344
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviormental excellence
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks