JACKSON COUNTY, Wis. - Jackson County Sheriff's K-9 handler, Deputy Nick Gray received an award from the United States Police Canine Association for his work following an incident in Black River Falls in November 2012.
Deputy Gray won the national organization's K-9 Deputy of the Quarter in Region 18, which encompasses Wisconsin, Minnesota and the Twin Cities as well as parts of North Dakota. The organization gives out four awards per region each year.
Deputy Gray was nominated for the award after receiving a request to assist the Wisconsin State Patrol Trooper Steven Wojcik on a traffic stop on November 27. After arriving on scene, Deputy Gray's K-9 partner, Ice alerted that there were drugs in the suspect's vehicle.
Deputy Gray and Trooper Wojcik found methamphetamine, marijuana and a loaded .22 caliber handgun in the vehicle. Two convicted felons were in the vehicle. The driver was charged with possession with intent to distribute.
Jackson County Sheriff Duane Waldera thanked Deputy Gray for his work with the department. "Deputy Gray has worked hard over the years with the K-9 program," Sheriff Waldera said. "I am certainly very proud of his accomplishments as well as those by his K-9 partner, Ice."
Deputy Gray, who is also part of the department's emergency response team, says he's honored to receive the United States Police Canine Association award.19486842
"I cannot tell you how proud I am of the award, my K-9 Ice and the men and women from the Sheriff's Office that helped in making this happen," Deputy Gray said.
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviormental excellence
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks