NEOLA, Iowa (AP) - A 26-year-old western Iowa man who apparently expected to step onto a deck when he went out a door has been fatally injured in his fall onto frozen ground.
Pottawattamie County sheriff's deputies say Matthew McDonald, of Neola, fell a little after 3 a.m. Sunday.
Deputies say several people had gone to the Neola house after a local bar closed.
Sheriff Jeff Danker says McDonald opened the door, apparently thinking it led to an outside deck. Danker says the deck had been removed.
McDonald was pronounced dead later at a Council Bluffs hospital.
Danker says a crime isn't suspected in McDonald's death, but the investigation is continuing.
- The Latest: Trump take executive action on oil pipelines
- Minnesota governor eyes fast return to work after collapse
- Plans on hold for proposed cell towers in La Crosse
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- Trial set for mom whose toddler was found wandering outside
- Wisconsin Democrats: County websites were hacked
- Bipartisan proposal would eliminate publishing minutes
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups
- Man accused of trying to kill unborn child arrested in NY
- Section of riverbank collapses near City Hall in Des Moines