NEOLA, Iowa (AP) - A 26-year-old western Iowa man who apparently expected to step onto a deck when he went out a door has been fatally injured in his fall onto frozen ground.
Pottawattamie County sheriff's deputies say Matthew McDonald, of Neola, fell a little after 3 a.m. Sunday.
Deputies say several people had gone to the Neola house after a local bar closed.
Sheriff Jeff Danker says McDonald opened the door, apparently thinking it led to an outside deck. Danker says the deck had been removed.
McDonald was pronounced dead later at a Council Bluffs hospital.
Danker says a crime isn't suspected in McDonald's death, but the investigation is continuing.
- Trump, Walker discuss Wisconsin dairy dispute
- Why more people may be driving hybrid vehicles
- Wisconsin at high risk of wildfires after sunny, dry weather
- Wisconsin Legislature set to give wells bill final OK
- Prosecutor: No water for week led to jail dehydration death
- Student stabbed at Kenosha high school
- Bridge project in southeast Minnesota on schedule, budget
- House Republicans pass abortion bills
- Minnesota couple accused of sexually assaulting teenage girl
- Report: Saints, running back Peterson agree on contract