NORTHWOOD, Iowa (AP) - The police force has dropped to a lone officer in the northern Iowa town of Northwood.
Mayor Jane Bloomingdale says Officer Justin Nerlien turned in his resignation on Tuesday. He'd been hired in November.
The resignation leaves only Dennis Paulson on the force. He started in May last year.
Bloomingdale says off-duty Worth County deputies are patrolling Northwood, which is paying them by the hour.
She says that will continue until the city hires more officers and a chief.
Northwood has about 2,000 residents and sits just a few miles from the Minnesota state line.
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 22, 2017
- Between the Bluffs Beer, Wine and Cheese Festival draws thousands
- Community garden sees rush of Earth Day volunteers