NORTHWOOD, Iowa (AP) - The police force has dropped to a lone officer in the northern Iowa town of Northwood.
Mayor Jane Bloomingdale says Officer Justin Nerlien turned in his resignation on Tuesday. He'd been hired in November.
The resignation leaves only Dennis Paulson on the force. He started in May last year.
Bloomingdale says off-duty Worth County deputies are patrolling Northwood, which is paying them by the hour.
She says that will continue until the city hires more officers and a chief.
Northwood has about 2,000 residents and sits just a few miles from the Minnesota state line.
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest