DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - Iowa officials are awaiting toxicology test results that could help them determine what killed an inmate found unresponsive at the Fort Des Moines work release facility.
Iowa Department of Corrections spokesman Fred Scaletta says 53-year-old Thomas McNerney was found unresponsive on Feb. 8 and pronounced dead later.
McNerney was serving a 28-year sentence that started November 2003. He was convicted of prohibited acts, possession of a controlled substance and assault on a peace officer.
Scaletta says McNerney was transferred to work release on Feb. 6.
- Trump, Walker discuss Wisconsin dairy dispute
- Prosecutor: No water for week led to jail dehydration death
- Student stabbed at Kenosha high school
- House Republicans pass abortion bills
- Report: Saints, running back Peterson agree on contract
- Federal officials charge 15 with eagle trafficking
- Cool, wet conditions put damper on Minnesota spring planting
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Assignment: Education - Backpack meals