DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - Iowa officials are awaiting toxicology test results that could help them determine what killed an inmate found unresponsive at the Fort Des Moines work release facility.
Iowa Department of Corrections spokesman Fred Scaletta says 53-year-old Thomas McNerney was found unresponsive on Feb. 8 and pronounced dead later.
McNerney was serving a 28-year sentence that started November 2003. He was convicted of prohibited acts, possession of a controlled substance and assault on a peace officer.
Scaletta says McNerney was transferred to work release on Feb. 6.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death