WATERLOO, IOWA (AP) - A judge has given a 61-year-old Cedar Falls man convicted of sexually abusing a girl who'd signed up for his basketball program the maximum sentence.
The Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier says Gary Lee Alexander was sentenced to 45 years in prison on Thursday. He was guilty in December of three counts of sexual abuse.
Prosecutors say Alexander began abusing the girl when she was 11 after she joined his Gary's Girls basketball program. She testified that the abuse continued until she stopped it while she was in high school. She decided to press charges after college.
Alexander testified that he'd never had sex with the girl, but investigators said he told them he had.
He is also awaiting trial on charges of sexually abusing another girl.
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Fort Lauderdale shooter says he carried out attack for ISIS, FBI claims
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Democrats propose legalizing medical marijuana
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Sonar scans help divers target Lake Erie plane crash search
- Baldwin, Kind both attending inauguration while Pocan skips
- UnitedHealth tops Street 4Q forecasts
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers