WATERLOO, IOWA (AP) - A judge has given a 61-year-old Cedar Falls man convicted of sexually abusing a girl who'd signed up for his basketball program the maximum sentence.
The Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier says Gary Lee Alexander was sentenced to 45 years in prison on Thursday. He was guilty in December of three counts of sexual abuse.
Prosecutors say Alexander began abusing the girl when she was 11 after she joined his Gary's Girls basketball program. She testified that the abuse continued until she stopped it while she was in high school. She decided to press charges after college.
Alexander testified that he'd never had sex with the girl, but investigators said he told them he had.
He is also awaiting trial on charges of sexually abusing another girl.
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks
- Farms' thirst for water roils Wisconsin's central sands
- Minnesota city to unleash goats on invasive plants