DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A lawsuit alleging childhood sex abuse has been filed against the Boy Scouts of America, the Des Moines-based Mid-Iowa Council, and a former Scout leader.
The lawsuit filed Friday in Polk County District Court named the scouting organizations and Kenneth L. Newell, who now lives in Cedar Rapids.
The lawsuit filed on behalf of an unnamed victim alleges sexual abuse when he was member of a West Des Moines troop. He was then 12 and 13. He is now in his 40s and lives in central Iowa. The abuse allegedly occurred in 1977 or 1978.
Boy Scouts spokesman Deron Smith says he can't comment on active litigation.
A telephone number for Newell could not immediately be located. Newell has never been criminally charged in the alleged abuse.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death