DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A lawsuit alleging childhood sex abuse has been filed against the Boy Scouts of America, the Des Moines-based Mid-Iowa Council, and a former Scout leader.
The lawsuit filed Friday in Polk County District Court named the scouting organizations and Kenneth L. Newell, who now lives in Cedar Rapids.
The lawsuit filed on behalf of an unnamed victim alleges sexual abuse when he was member of a West Des Moines troop. He was then 12 and 13. He is now in his 40s and lives in central Iowa. The abuse allegedly occurred in 1977 or 1978.
Boy Scouts spokesman Deron Smith says he can't comment on active litigation.
A telephone number for Newell could not immediately be located. Newell has never been criminally charged in the alleged abuse.
- Wisconsin man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- GOP bill would discipline hecklers at UW speeches
- Wisconsin DOJ, feds, police set up Drug Take Back Day
- Wisconsin judge hears challenge to homemade bakery ban
- Teen who stabbed classmate was punched by victim
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Hate crime lawsuit settled in northern Iowa
- Milwaukee Bucks settle lawsuit over cheerleader pay
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff