PACIFIC JUNCTION, Iowa (AP) - A southwest Iowa man faces a first-degree murder charge in the death of a toddler he was babysitting.
The Iowa Department of Public Safety says 22-year-old Colby Puckett of Pacific Junction was arrested and charged Friday in the death 13-month-old Aliyanna May. Officials say Puckett is dating the girl's mother.
The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation says Puckett was with the girl when she sustained extensive injuries to her head and eyes. She was found unresponsive Feb. 1 at a Pacific Junction residence. She was treated in Omaha and later died.
Officials have ruled her death a homicide.
Puckett is being held at the Mills County Jail and his bond has been set at $1 million. A public defender has not yet been appointed to him.
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviormental excellence
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game