SPERRY, Iowa (AP) - A 21-year-old southeast Iowa man is accused of shooting a neighboring family's dog while the animal was playing near a 10-year-old boy.
The Burlington Hawk Eye reports that Cody Trails Warth, of Sperry, was arrested Thursday night on suspicion of felony criminal mischief, animal abuse and shooting a rifle across a roadway.
Janice Hine says her 10-year-old son has been traumatized by the shooting. She says the hunting dog, named Marlow, was on his family's property and was about 15 yards away from her son when he was shot in a hind leg. The dog underwent surgery and is expected to recover.
Authorities say Warth admitted that he shot the dog from his front porch while it was across the road from his house.
- Family to announce settlement in police shooting case
- Warm weather a worry for apple growers
- Rochester might oust 200 students over vaccine requirements
- Ohio, Wisconsin kick start interstate talks on Trump effect
- Preschool teacher, 4-year-old recovering after ‘perfect kidney' transplant
- Trespass charges for man living in hospital closet
- Winning numbers drawn in 'Powerball' game
- Holmen homicide suspect pleads guilty in 2015 murder
- Minnesota House set for floor vote on Real ID
- Iowa mayor wraps up address with bluesy salute to his city