SPERRY, Iowa (AP) - A 21-year-old southeast Iowa man is accused of shooting a neighboring family's dog while the animal was playing near a 10-year-old boy.
The Burlington Hawk Eye reports that Cody Trails Warth, of Sperry, was arrested Thursday night on suspicion of felony criminal mischief, animal abuse and shooting a rifle across a roadway.
Janice Hine says her 10-year-old son has been traumatized by the shooting. She says the hunting dog, named Marlow, was on his family's property and was about 15 yards away from her son when he was shot in a hind leg. The dog underwent surgery and is expected to recover.
Authorities say Warth admitted that he shot the dog from his front porch while it was across the road from his house.
- Deputy: 1 ejected, several injured in school bus vs. dump truck crash
- Prison launches service dog training program
- Heart disease survivor pushes forward
- Flooding affecting Memorial Day camping in La Crosse
- Father-son team arrested in Chicago-to-La Crosse drug trade, police say
- La Crosse Valley View Mall for sale by property owner
- Emergency responders take part in mass casualty drill at La Crosse airport
- Gehl Foods distributed nacho cheese linked to fatal botulism
- Bennett getting acclimated quickly to Packers
- La Crosse Center approves 10-game schedule for pro basketball team