SPERRY, Iowa (AP) - A 21-year-old southeast Iowa man is accused of shooting a neighboring family's dog while the animal was playing near a 10-year-old boy.
The Burlington Hawk Eye reports that Cody Trails Warth, of Sperry, was arrested Thursday night on suspicion of felony criminal mischief, animal abuse and shooting a rifle across a roadway.
Janice Hine says her 10-year-old son has been traumatized by the shooting. She says the hunting dog, named Marlow, was on his family's property and was about 15 yards away from her son when he was shot in a hind leg. The dog underwent surgery and is expected to recover.
Authorities say Warth admitted that he shot the dog from his front porch while it was across the road from his house.
- Court: Police can take blood from unconscious drivers
- Changes sought to Wisconsin bill to help terminally ill
- Madison police investigate homicide on east side
- Wednesday deadline for Rochester student immunizations
- Trempealeau Co. K-9 leads to pair of drug arrests in one day
- Man killed by deputy was on dual paths
- Immigrant licenses complicate Minnesota's Real ID effort
- U'Ren family wants drivers to learn lesson in tragedy after fatal crash
- Fire damages Winona business
- Psychologist says La Crosse man not competent to stand trial