DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - Unemployment benefits have been denied to two women fired from their Iowa jobs for offensively joking about burning Jews.
The Des Moines Register reports that Christina Ott and her sister, Susan Ott, were fired in late January from the TriMark Corp. plant in New Hampton.
Plant officials testified at unemployment claims hearings that other workers saw the two carrying a toy Easy Bake oven with gingerbread men inside on Dec. 19. One of the workers says the two wished their colleagues happy Hanukkah and said, "We're burning the Jews."
Susan Ackerman is an administrative law judge who heard Christina Ott's case. Ackerman said carrying an oven around "with little people in it while saying, `Happy Hanukkah,' is offensive, let alone if she said the hate speech along with it."
- Repealing Obamacare: Trump says fast, Congress says slow
- Monday closings due to weather
- Tomah police asking for help following morning high-speed chase
- US Rep. Pocan says he won't attend Trump inauguration
- Local activists hold "Save Our Healthcare" rally
- Local bar burglarized
- More than a dozen cell towers may go up in La Crosse
- Potential suicide spike in La Crosse County
- UPDATE: Suspect charged in Trempealeau County fatal crash
- Area youth group helps prepare for fundraiser