DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - Unemployment benefits have been denied to two women fired from their Iowa jobs for offensively joking about burning Jews.
The Des Moines Register reports that Christina Ott and her sister, Susan Ott, were fired in late January from the TriMark Corp. plant in New Hampton.
Plant officials testified at unemployment claims hearings that other workers saw the two carrying a toy Easy Bake oven with gingerbread men inside on Dec. 19. One of the workers says the two wished their colleagues happy Hanukkah and said, "We're burning the Jews."
Susan Ackerman is an administrative law judge who heard Christina Ott's case. Ackerman said carrying an oven around "with little people in it while saying, `Happy Hanukkah,' is offensive, let alone if she said the hate speech along with it."
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather