IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) - The Iowa Department of Transportation says it will not issue driver's licenses to young illegal immigrants who are now eligible to work in the U.S. under an Obama administration program.
The department said Thursday that Iowa law does not allow it to issue driver's licenses or non-operator identification cards to people who are not in the country legally.
President Barack Obama announced a policy change in June that lets certain illegal immigrants apply for a temporary work permit if they were brought to the country as children.
Several Republican governors have said they will not issue driver's licenses to immigrants who qualify. In August, Nebraska Gov. Dave Heineman said his state would continue to deny licenses, welfare benefits and other public assistance unless required by state law.
- Wisconsin plan seeks to cut achievement gap in half
- APNewsBreak: Syrian who sued Trump brings family to US
- Congress OKs bill averting Saturday gov't shutdown
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Young students urge high schoolers to be safe during prom
- Police: Man pepper-sprayed autistic man eating free cookies
- GOP gets in lockstep in looming budget fight with Dayton
- Appeal rejected in death of 2 motorcyclists
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested
- Company says it has no plans for a new Wisconsin pipeline