IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) - The Iowa Department of Transportation says it will not issue driver's licenses to young illegal immigrants who are now eligible to work in the U.S. under an Obama administration program.
The department said Thursday that Iowa law does not allow it to issue driver's licenses or non-operator identification cards to people who are not in the country legally.
President Barack Obama announced a policy change in June that lets certain illegal immigrants apply for a temporary work permit if they were brought to the country as children.
Several Republican governors have said they will not issue driver's licenses to immigrants who qualify. In August, Nebraska Gov. Dave Heineman said his state would continue to deny licenses, welfare benefits and other public assistance unless required by state law.
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers
- Xcel sets new record for hydroelectric production
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families
- La Crosse Public Education Foundation honors grant recipients
- 1 dead, 4 others injured by apparent carbon monoxide
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- Missing elderly man found dead in Grant County
- State leaders push for more progress at MLK Day celebration